Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a low calorie very rich soup with fabulous Italian flavors.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less depending on preference)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, ground
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans cannellini beans (or other white beans)
- 64 ounces water (2 quarts)
- 8 ounces smart taste whole grain macaroni
- 1 lb frozen greens, chopped (kale, collard, or spinach)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, to top each bowl
- Saute onions and garlic in oil about 1 minute, add fennel, oregano and red pepper saute about 1 minute more. Add ground chicken and cook through completely. Add wine and cook about 3 minutes, until it reduces a bit. Add broth, water and beans (I don't rinse them but you can if you like). Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and let simmer for about 1 hour. About 20 minutes before you are ready to eat increase the heat to bring soup back to the boil. When boiling add noodles and cook until done. Add greens at the last minute, taste and adjust the seasoning to your taste serve with a sprinkle of parmesan or romano cheese.
- Serving size is based on one cup servings and is an estimate.