1/1 Photo of Italian Soup
2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Just something I threw together on a chilly evening using ingredients I had on hand. Not a true minestrone, but that was my inspiration. Served with a hearty bread it makes a complete meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white and light green parts)
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1/2 cup fresh kale, shredded (or other greens)
- 1/3 cup orzo (other other small pasta)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1In a 5 or 6 quart dutch oven over medium heat, brown the sausage, breaking it up with a large spoon. After the meat starts to brown, add the red wine vinegar. (It will make the sausage easier to break into small pieces.).
- 2Add the olive oil, onion, leek, and carrots, and cook over medium until the vegetables begin to soften.
- 3Add the dried herbs, zucchini and garlic, and cook for several more minutes. (The heat should be high enough that there is some browning on the bottom of the pan.).
- 4Add the can of crushed tomatoes and cook for about five minutes.
- 5Add the broth, beans, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Reduce heat and cook at a low simmer for at least one hour. Longer cooking will produce better flavor.
- 7Raise the heat until the soup begins to bubble. Add the kale and pasta, and cook for 15-20 minutes until the pasta is soft.
- 8For a thinner soup, add one cup additional broth or hot water during cooking.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Soup
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.6
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 11.3 mg
- Sodium 415.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 16.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: