Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A hearty, sloppy, filling sandwich.
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 lb bulk hot Italian sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- salt and pepper
- 8 -10 submarine rolls, split
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook sausage, garlic, green pepper, and onion until the sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup onto each roll; sprinkle with cheese.
YUM!!! I made this for my husband and we both agreed that these were great! We love spicy food and this had a great kick. Didn't change a thing...thanks for posting!
I took this to a "tailgate party" at work. It received great reviews! It reminded me of the Italian sausage sandwiches I used to get at cookouts as a kid in the eastern part of the country. This is definitely not a sandwich for kids - unless they enjoy spice - but the adults sure loved it and asked me to bring it to work again :) Thanks ratherbeswimmin!
I LOVE this recipe! Fantastic, and perfect to make for a casual get together or quick dinner. It's got some kick to it, but tastes oh so good. In making it (three times now), I omit the fennel seeds (I don't have any on hand), and add one can of tomato paste to thicken it up just a bit. And for those that really like the heat, top it with hot pepper cheese, wow! I also serve it with seasoned waffle fries to scoop up the bits that fall out of the sandwich, yum! Thank you so much for this recipe.