Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this recipe on Cookie Journey Blogspot. Originally in "Desserts: Mediterranean Flavors,California Style" by Cindy Mushet. This goes together quickly.
- 177.44 ml unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml almond extract
- 354.88 ml unbleached all-purpose flour
- 0.59 ml salt
- 59.14 ml apricot jam (I used peach and amaretta jam) or 59.14 ml other not to sweet jam (I used peach and amaretta jam)
- 78.07 ml sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F and set the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Have ready a 9-inch ungreased springform pan.
- Beat the butter and sugar on medium speed in a stand mixed for 3-4 minutes until very light, scraping down the sides of the bowl and the paddle from time to time.
- Add the almond extract and beat on medium speed for 30 more seconds to blend.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour and salt.
- Add to the butter mixture and beat on low speed until blended, 30 - 40 seconds. The dough will be stiff.
- Remove 1/2 cup of dough and spread it on a small plate in a thin later; place it in the freezer.
- Press the remaining dough into the pan evenly - it can be a little higher at the edges, but the center shouldn't be elevated.
- Spread the jam evenly over the dough to within an inch of the edge.
- Retrieve the remaining dough from the freezer and crumble it over the jam.
- Sprinkle the almonds evenly over the top.
- Bake the shortbread for 40-50 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a rack before removing from pan.
- Cut the shortbread into serving size triangles.
- Freezes well.
This is one of my favourite slice recipes. My colleagues also love it. Be generous with the jam.