These cookies take A LOT of work, but the recipe is simple. It is a matter of assembling and patience. These are just like the cookies(aka rainbow cookies, italian ribbon cookies) you get at NYC bakeries. Your patience and time will be well rewarded. The list of ingredints is for EACH layer. You have to prepare each layer seperately so they bake even. Bon appetit! USE 11x17 PANS TO ASSURE SUCCESSFUL BAKING! The 1st person to review these used 11x7 brownie pans that were way too small. The 11x17 are perfect for these cookies. Don't use smaller pans. Enjoy!
The ingredients for each layer are as follows
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 10 -12 drops red food coloring, for each layer
- 10 -12 drops yellow food coloring, for each layer
- 10 -12 drops green food coloring, for each layer
You will also need
- 2 (15 ounce) jars seedless raspberry jam
- 2 (12 ounce) packages semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- You must repeat this 3 times. Once for each layer.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder togerther and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a stand mixer until the mix lightens in color and is fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat about 1 minute for each egg, add in the almond extract.
- With the mixer on low, add in the flour mixture and mix until just combined, add whichever food coloring your using as it mixes.
- Coat an 11x17 pan with non stick baking spray and pour mixture into pan. It will take some effort to spread evenly. TIP: If it does not spread evenly, spread the mixture as evenly as you can. Then put in the hot oven for about 45 seconds. Then jiggle the pan gently to get the batter even.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 or until done.
- CAREFULLY flip the red layer onto wax paper and let cool. If you have more than one of these pans, leave the red layer in the pan and repeat the above listed steps, first with the yellow layer. While that layer is baking, carefully spread the red layer evenly with the raspberry jam. Then CAREFULLY flip the yellow layer on top of the red layer you just coated with the raspberry jam. Now for the last layer, the green one. Repeat the above listed baking steps and coat the yellow layer with the Other jar of jam. Once the green layer is done, fip on top of the yellow layer you coated with the raspberry jam. You now have 5 layers. Hard parts over -- sort of. now you must weigh down the cookies. To do this, cover the cookies with wax paper and take eithier another 11x17 pan or something of equal size like a cutting board and place on top of the cookies. You don't have to put very heavy weight on them anything handy that won't slip off. You're just trying to condense the layers a bit. Place in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Remove the cookies from the fridge and remove the weight and wax paper.
- Put the 1st bag of chocolate chips into a small sauce pan with the oil on a low light and melt until even. When done, spread unto top of cookies. Let harden at room temp, at least 3 hours. CAREFULLY flip the cookies and repeat on the other side with the other bag of chocolate chips. Let cool at room temperature.
- When the chocolate rehardens, Take a long carving knife and cut into small squares. Then put them in the fridge in an airtight container. Enjoy!