Recipe by Kim D.
My family has been making this traditional Italian cookie for years. My family expects these every Christmas, but they are good anytime!
Top Review by ClareVH
These are wonderful little cookies! Not too sweet, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, they are the perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee or tea. I used all butter in the recipe and rolled them into balls. The recipe made 38 cookies for me. The next time I make these, I may add just a hint of anise or citrus zest. Thanks for sharing this great recipe Kim.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a bowl; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, blend butter and shortening.
- Add eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, making a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a long roll, about a 1/2-inch diameter; cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Roll each piece in sesame seeds.
- Place 1-inch apart on a baking seet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Store in airtight containers.