Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
This bread is incredible. It is by far the best non-knead bread I've ever eaten. Serve it with any homemade soup, or with chicken cacciatore.
- In a quart bowl or measuring cup, put the warm water, the margarine or butter, the sugar, the salt, and a tablespoon of the flour. Stir well.
- Add in the yeast and then set aside for five minutes.
- In a very large bowl, mix 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup of the parmesan, and the remaining ingredients. Stir to mix.
- Slowly stir in the yeast mixture.
- Beat in the rest of the flour.
- Leave the bread mix in the bowl, and cover with a damp dish towel and then plastic wrap.
- Let rise 45 minutes, until light and bubbly.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Butter a two quart casserole.
- Stir the bread mix until it collapses, and then flop it into the greased dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan on top of the bread mix.
- Let rise 30 minutes and then put in oven.
- Bake 35 minutes until lightly browned.
- Turn the bread out onto the counter.
- Lightly thump bottom.
- If it sounds hollow it's done.
- Otherwise, return to casserole for a few minutes.
- Let partially cool.
- Serve warm with real butter.
Wonderful bread, easy to make and rose to a beautiful height. I did spray the oven several times with cold water as the bread was baking and ended up with a great crusty crust.