Recipe by Dreamgoddess
Simple Italian Stew. This MUST be served on some sort of crusty Italian bread.
- 1 lb ripe roma tomato
- 2 small fennel bulbs (1 1/2 pounds total weight)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for your bread.
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 14 mussels, in the shell well scrubbed
- 2 lbs fresh assorted white fish fillets, such as sea bass,hilibut,red snapper and sole,cut into 2 inch pieces.
- 1⁄2 lb small shrimp, peeled and deveined (leave tail fin on)
- 4 slices crusty Italian bread
- coarsely chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tomatoes in half, squeeze out the seeds.
- Chop coarsely.
- If you can stand it, remove skin too, but I have no patience for that.
- Trim the root end of each fennel bulb and remove stalks.
- Cut the bulbs in half lengthwise and then cut each half lengthwise into 4 wedges; set aside.
- In large saucepan/pot over medium-low heat warm the olive oil.
- Add garlic and saute until it just begins to change color, 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, fennel and bay leaves and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, wine, water, salt and red pepper.
- Cover partially and cook till fennel is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- Discard any mussles that do not close to the touch.
- Add fish cover, and barely simmer on low for 10 min.
- Add mussles and shrimp and continue to barely simmer for 45 min or until all mussles are open and shrimp is pink.
- Discard and mussles that did not open.
- Taste, adjust seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 350 Brush each bread slice w/ olive oil, arrange on baking sheet oiled side up, warm in oven a few minutes.
- To serve, place 1 bread slice in a soup bowl (4 inch) and ladle the stew over the bread.
- Garnish w/ parsley Serve right away.