Recipe by Lee in Texas
This is a wonderfully aromatic soup perfect for the seafood lover. Add a salad and some drippy garlic bread and you have a great summer supper.
Top Review by Dreamgoddess
The only thing I might possibly change the next time I make this would be to cut down the amounts on the spices just a little. Overall, a very good soup which everyone enjoyed (including the children!). I served it with a spinach/mushroom salad and bread.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 4 teaspoons oregano, dried
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds, dried
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 20 ounces bottled clam juice
- 6 1⁄2 ounces minced clams
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled
- 6 ounces crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil.
- Add onions, garlic, oregano and fennel.
- Sweat onions until tender.
- Add tomatoes, clam juice, wine and liquid from canned clams.
- Bring to stew consistency (about 15 minutes).
- Add shrimp, clams, and crab meat.
- Cook on medium heat about 2 minutes.
- Add basil, cayenne,and black pepper to taste.
- Simmer 2 more minutes.