This is a wonderfully aromatic soup perfect for the seafood lover. Add a salad and some drippy garlic bread and you have a great summer supper.
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 295.73 ml onions, chopped
- 29.58 ml garlic, chopped
- 19.71 ml oregano, dried
- 7.39 ml fennel seeds, dried
- 2 can diced tomatoes
- 566.99 g bottled clam juice
- 184.27 g minced clams
- 236.59 ml dry white wine
- 453.59 g shrimp, shelled
- 170.09 g crabmeat
- 29.58 ml dried basil
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- Heat oil.
- Add onions, garlic, oregano and fennel.
- Sweat onions until tender.
- Add tomatoes, clam juice, wine and liquid from canned clams.
- Bring to stew consistency (about 15 minutes).
- Add shrimp, clams, and crab meat.
- Cook on medium heat about 2 minutes.
- Add basil, cayenne,and black pepper to taste.
- Simmer 2 more minutes.
The only thing I might possibly change the next time I make this would be to cut down the amounts on the spices just a little. Overall, a very good soup which everyone enjoyed (including the children!). I served it with a spinach/mushroom salad and bread.
This is very good soup. After reading others' reviews I was a little nervous about the amount of spices. I went ahead and made the recipe as written anyway. I thought it was delicious as is. I did however add a dash of hot sauce to my bowl just for a little extra pow, but as is, I would definately make this again.
Very, very good. I prepared as directed with all dried herbs in the quantities stated. One could sub. any shellfish desired (put in at the proper time to ensure it is cooked but not overdone) and could add some firm fish also as long as the clams and clam juice remained. Do not omit the fennel seeds..it lends the subtle sweetness necessary to combat the acid in the tomatoes. I will definitely prepare again and again.