Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an espress recipe to do on the barbecue from the issue of June 2006 of Coup de Pouce.
- 4 Italian sausages (1 lb)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash fresh black pepper
- 1 (8 inch) baguette, diced in 1 inches cube
- 1⁄2 red onion, cut into 1 inch squares
- Put sausages in a plate going in the microwave and poke them. Cover with plastic wrap leaving an open corner to let escape the steam and cook at high power for about 5 minutes or until not pink inside. (you can do this step in advance, let cool and cover. They will be good until the next day in the fridge.). Cut in slices of 1 1/2 inches of thickness.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix oil, garlic, salt and pepper. On metal skewers or wood skewers previously soaked in water, thread sausages alternating with bread cubes and onions squares. Baste the skewers with the mixture of oil.
- Set the barbecue to medium heat. Put the skewers on an oil grill. Close the cover and cook about 10 minutes or until sausages are grilled and onions are tender (flip the skewers 3 times during the cooking time).
Ohhh, these are yummy. We used hot italian sausage and a french baguette. It was almost like a sausage sandwich on a stick. The bread grilled up wonderfully and had great flavor from the garlic oil. Very easy to put together and with precooking the sausage, its a very quick meal to make. Thanks!
This is a great, quick and easy grill dish! We used spicy Italian sausage and thought it was perfect with the bread, onions, and dressing. I was surprised that the bread toasted so well without burning. Great meal - thanks for sharing the recipe!
Bread on a skewer? What?! Well it definitely works! These are so easy and very tasty. While I was cutting up the bread (used a ciabatta baguette) and the onion (I microwaved the onion pieces for 1 minute on high), I cooked the sausages in a pan with a bit of water and the lid on. Threaded these on 6 metal skewers and cooked for a total of 6 minutes. Made for Went to the Market. Thanks! :)