Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A different way to try zucchini! Delicious served over pasta with grated Parmesan Cheese or cheese stuffed tortellni
- 1 lb Italian sausage, sliced thin (or ground beef)
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 2 lbs zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- canned corn (or both, optional) (optional) or butter beans, drained (or both) (optional)
- Brown sausage, drain off fat.
- Add celery and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add all remaining ingredients and cook covered for 10 minutes more.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
- (If you use Italian sausage, the longer you cook it, the hotter it gets).
This was delicious! I'm not a fan of squash, and had avoided zucchini for many years, but found it to be quite pleasant tasting served this way. I added some fennel seeds to complement the Italian sausage. Next time I'll try it served over cheese tortellini. Thanks for the great recipe.
wowie!! this is fantabulous, browned the sausage then added to the crockpot, cooked on low all day when we came home the house smelled yummy we ate it up....ended very happy sure hope the neigbors send over more zucchinis
Made this recipe for company and everyone really enjoyed it....and finished it up! Alas, no leftovers. Followed the recipe exactly and served it over whole wheat fettuccini. Would only add crushed black pepper to taste the next time. I will definitely make this again and again.