Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
From the back of a package of salted hog casings. You can make this a sweet italian, or add crushed red chile for a hot italian sausage.
- 10 lbs coarse ground pork butt or 10 lbs pork shoulder, boneless
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 cups ice water
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes (for HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGE)
- 1 (5 ounce) packagewolfson salted natural hog casings
- Combine ground pork, seasonings and water. Mix thoroughly using hands to knead mixture.
- Fill casings loosely, leaving one inch at each end. Its easiest to use a sausage attachment on your KitchenAid mixer, but you can do it manually using a funnel with a wide opening.
- Tie off ends, then twist to form links - about 3 turns. Tie with string.
- Refrigerate immediately or freeze up to 2 months.