Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is delicious...
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 bermuda onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned diced tomato
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb cooked Italian pork sausage (hot, sweet, or a combination)
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 1⁄4 cup chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil.
- Sauté the onion, bell peppers, and fennel until the vegetables turn golden, 8-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the tomato, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sausage; simmer covered, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, about 20 minutes.
- If the sauce becomes too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne according to directions; drain.
- Add the basil, parsley, and penne to the sausage mixture; toss to combine.
Really great dish!
YUM YUM YUMMY YUM YUM! We loved it!
Very delicious! It tastes almost exactly like my recipe. I used hot and sweet sausage like I always do. I never cooked with Fennel Root before so I was expecting it to taste like fennel seasoning. Therefore, I didn't use the whole bulb b/c I don't really care for fennel. WOW! I wish I had used the whole bulb. It was actually different tasting from what I expected (a bit on the sweet side and more like an onion) and it was delicious! Instead of canned tomatoes, I used a fresh tomato and cut it up in cubes. My recipe doesn't call for pasta so this was a nice addition (who would have thought). I also wish I had used more fresh basil on top. It gave it such a nice flavor. Sitting here at my desk eating the leftovers. My boss walked by and said, "Yum, something smells really good." I think I'll be making my sausage and peppers this way from now on.