Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A hearty vegetable soup. Recipe by: Dorothy Lane Markets
Make and share this Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled/ diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes, in tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 2⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Use bulk sausage or remove the casings from the sausage and discard.
- Brown the sausage in a heavy Dutch oven or large saucepan, mashing it with the back of a spoon until the meat is no longer pink and has rendered most of its fat.
- Spoon out most of the fat from the cooked sausage and discard.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring,until soft but not browned.
- Add carrots, zucchini, pepper, wine, chicken broth, tomatoes, basil, and oregano and bring to a boil.
- When the soup in boiling, add the orzo and cook for 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in heavy soup bowls.
- If desired, sprinkle Parmesan cheese over each serving.
- To prepare in advance: Like most hearty soups, this tastes best if it is cooled, refrigerated overnight, then reheated to serve.
- It may also be frozen.
Great soup! I added some celery and a 1/2 cup of frozen peas. The sausage and green pepper gives it great flavor. I will definitely make this again, Thanks!
Delicious soup recipe! I only used 1/2 a green pepper, and had no zucchini so used celery instead. A real tummy warmer with great flavours, thanks for posting. =)
We just got 6 inches of snow and it was nice coming home from work to such a flavorable soup. I prepared it the night before and placed it in my crockpot liner so that in the morning all I had to do is pop it in the heating element. I placed all the ingredients except orzo pasta and Parmesan cheese in the crockpot. I added the orzo pasta an hour before serving. It was full of flavor. The only complaint I got from my children is that wanted more sausage in it so next time I will add 2 pounds. No leftovers to take to work. LOL