A hearty vegetable soup. Recipe by: Dorothy Lane Markets
Make and share this Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled/ diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes, in tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 2⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Use bulk sausage or remove the casings from the sausage and discard.
- Brown the sausage in a heavy Dutch oven or large saucepan, mashing it with the back of a spoon until the meat is no longer pink and has rendered most of its fat.
- Spoon out most of the fat from the cooked sausage and discard.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring,until soft but not browned.
- Add carrots, zucchini, pepper, wine, chicken broth, tomatoes, basil, and oregano and bring to a boil.
- When the soup in boiling, add the orzo and cook for 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in heavy soup bowls.
- If desired, sprinkle Parmesan cheese over each serving.
- To prepare in advance: Like most hearty soups, this tastes best if it is cooled, refrigerated overnight, then reheated to serve.
- It may also be frozen.