1/3 Photos of Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup
1 hr 30 mins
A hearty vegetable soup. Recipe by: Dorothy Lane Markets
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled/ diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, in tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Use bulk sausage or remove the casings from the sausage and discard.
- 2Brown the sausage in a heavy Dutch oven or large saucepan, mashing it with the back of a spoon until the meat is no longer pink and has rendered most of its fat.
- 3Spoon out most of the fat from the cooked sausage and discard.
- 4Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring,until soft but not browned.
- 5Add carrots, zucchini, pepper, wine, chicken broth, tomatoes, basil, and oregano and bring to a boil.
- 6When the soup in boiling, add the orzo and cook for 20 minutes.
- 7Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Serve in heavy soup bowls.
- 9If desired, sprinkle Parmesan cheese over each serving.
- 10To prepare in advance: Like most hearty soups, this tastes best if it is cooled, refrigerated overnight, then reheated to serve.
- 11It may also be frozen.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (416 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.5
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 52.9 mg
- Sodium 1733.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 26.9 g