Spicy and comforting! Tomato based soup with 3-cheese tortellini. You can go up or down with the heat on how you like your spices. A hearty one-meal dish which would be great with crusty bread!
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) chicken broth
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 (20 ounce) refrigerated 3-cheese tortellini
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Remove casings from sausage and crumble for frying.
- In a large dutch oven, brown sausage, onion and green pepper. Drain well.
- Stir in chicken broth, carrots, tomatoes and tomato sauce, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, cayenne powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add tortellini and simmer for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Top with a few sprinkles of mozzarella cheese.
- Serve with crusty bread.