Recipe by Pot Scrubber
Submitted for the 'Zaar World Tour 2005. Ciao!
Top Review by CindiJ
I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful this recipe is! I have now made this no less than 6 times and I just keep finding new ways to change it up (to our tastes). 1st time was made as written - very, very good. I've made several times using Half 'n Half. As with others, I have elected to omit the olive oil (anything to help lighten the dish)...I used hot italian sausage with great success and have also added shitake mushrooms and (at the last few minutes) 1/2 frozen peas. This is now so favored in our house, it has been requested on a regular basis. Thank you Potsie for another awesome dish!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 (3 ounce) can black olives, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces bow tie pasta
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and pepper flakes. Cook until sausage is no longer pink, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet and cook until onion is tender and sausage is light brown, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, olives, cream, salt and parsley. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 4 minutes.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Toss with mixture and sprinkle with parmesan.