Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A healthy option for a favorite football treat.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb sweet reduced-fat Italian sausage or 1 lb spicy reduced-fat Italian sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup beer
- 6 submarine rolls
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard (optional)
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Slice the sausages in half lengthwise and add them to the skillet. Brown on each side for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the same skillet.
- Add the peppers and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and continue cooking for 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Return the sausage to the pan, add the beer and cook for 5 minutes or until the sausages are completely done.
- Meanwhile, toast the rolls.
- Place 2 sausage halves on each toasted roll and top with the peppers and onions.
- Serve with Dijon mustard, if desired.