Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
To stuff the casings, you will need a meat grinder with a sausage horn attachment. If you don't have such a device, use the mixture to make fried patties by shaping 1/4 cup of filling into a 1/2 inch thick patty and frying in hot oil until golden brown on both sides.
- 5 lbs pork butt, Coarse Ground
- 3 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sage leaves
- 5 cloves
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup white wine
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed
- To prepare casings: Let casings soak in cool water about five minutes to remove salt on outer surface (no longer, or they will become too tender to stuff) and flush salt from the inside by placing one end on faucet nozzle and turn on cold tap water (if you see holes or water leaking, cut and discard).
- Remove casing from faucet and gently squeeze out water; cover rinsed casings and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix all ingredients very well in a large bowl (you're looking for a moist but not runny mixture).
- Fill the casings with the mixture and make links by twisting the sausage where you wish the links to be.
- Four inches is a good size for a regular serving, smaller links may be made for appetizer servings.
- Place the sausage in large saucepan or dutch oven in a single layer; cover and heat over high heat to a low simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain low simmer (sausages may burst if cooked at too high a heat) until the sausage is heated through, approximately 15 minutes.
- Drain and let rest for about 15 minutes before slicing; serve while warm.
Wow! Just delicious! I actually needed a pound of sweet Italian sausage for a recipe I was making. So I cut the recipe down to 1/5 of all the ingredients. I then added all the seasonings to a pound of ground turkey and used it in the recipe. The only change I made was to add a tsp of sugar to get a little sweet taste. This was perfect! Thanks for posting.
Made this with 1 lb, pork for Recipe #208429. I let the meat meld for a couple of hours and cooked as called for in the recipe. Had great flavor. DH was eating it out of the bowl after cooking it.