Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Contest winner from Taste of Home's Cooking For 2.
- 2 Italian sausages, 4 ounces each
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Italian rolls or 2 submarine buns, split
- 1⁄4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 slice provolone cheese, halved (3/4 onuce)
- In a small nonstick skillet, brown sausages on all sides over medium heat.
- Add broth.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove sausages and keep warm.
- Discard broth.
- In the same pan, saute onion in oil until crisp-tender.
- Add red pepper and cook until crisp-tender.
- Add vinegar and sausages and heat through.
- Carefully split buns/rolls making sure not to cut all the way through. You want them to open like a hot dog bun.
- Spread buns/rolls with pizza sauce (you may want to heat it slightly).
- Top with sausage, cheese, and onion mixture.
- Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Be careful not to burn the rolls/buns.
- Prep time includes cooking time.
Excellent sandwich! The balsamic is the crowning touch
Really good sandwich! The balsamic vinegar is great in this; don't leave it out. I slightly toasted the rolls in the oven before filling. I also used 2 slices of provolonecheese; one slice in each sandwich.
I can't believe no one has tried this recipe!!! This is so Yummy!!! I would have to say one of the best recipes I have yet to try on recipezaar. This is dang Good stuff!!!!