Recipe by SusieQusie
From the folks at the Johnsonsville Sausage company, a highly seasoned unstuffed-stuffing. It's really a one dish meal. The original recipe called for adding a small can (2 1/4 oz) of chopped black olives but I omitted that as we don't care for the taste. Feel free to add it back.
Top Review by Lori Mama
Very nice weekday meal. I don't buy the boxed stuffing mixes because of the salt and preservatives, so made my own, adding in the dried herbs required, to get the flavor. One change I will make next time is, to raise the oven temp. to 350 degrees. Maybe it's because of the boxed stuffing that 325 works, but I felt the end result was a tad bit too soft. Still a tasty recipe. :)
- 1⁄2 lb mild italian ground sausage
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups herb seasoned bread stuffing mix (cube type)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Butter a 2 quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain & remove from skillet. Set aside.
- Pour any grease from skillet & melt butter.
- Add celery & onion and saute until slightly tender, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the green pepper & garlic and continue to saute until all veggies are tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the stuffing, sausage, celery mixture, cheese & pepper. Add broth and egg and toss to combine.
- Spoon into prepared dish, cover and bake for 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.