Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 3 zucchini, medium size
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 226.79 g Italian sausage, ground
- 113.39 g scallions, chopped
- 226.79 g tomatoes, diced
- 226.79 g mozzarella cheese (or provolone, havarti, fontina, cheddar)
- 28.34 g fresh basil, chopped
- 4.92 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 56.69 g parmesan cheese (optional)
- 56.69 g pine nuts, toasted
- Wash zucchini, cut in half and scoop out seeds.
- Sprinkle scooped zucchini with salt and pepper and olive oil then place on hot grill or pan for 2-3 minutes.
- Sauté ground sausage till browned.
- In a bowl, combine scallions, tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, red pepper and pine nuts.
- Add sausage to mixture.
- Spoon mixture into scooped out zucchini and sprinkle tops with Parmesan cheese.
- Place in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
This was so good!! I forgot to toast my pine nuts but they were fine as is. Loved this!!!
This is a wonderful way to make zucchini. I used fresh sausage from the Farmers Market and zucchini from my garden. I did mix in the zucchini with my sausage, why waste it.
This recipe is great! I've made with with regular Italian sausage and hot Italian sausage (when we want a little bit more "zip"). Love the fresh basil and tomatoes and the pine nuts add that little touch of specialness. I would not change a thing in this recipe.