Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 3 zucchini, medium size
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, ground
- 4 ounces scallions, chopped
- 8 ounces tomatoes, diced
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (or provolone, havarti, fontina, cheddar)
- 1 ounce fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 ounces pine nuts, toasted
- Wash zucchini, cut in half and scoop out seeds.
- Sprinkle scooped zucchini with salt and pepper and olive oil then place on hot grill or pan for 2-3 minutes.
- Sauté ground sausage till browned.
- In a bowl, combine scallions, tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, red pepper and pine nuts.
- Add sausage to mixture.
- Spoon mixture into scooped out zucchini and sprinkle tops with Parmesan cheese.
- Place in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
This is a wonderful way to make zucchini. I used fresh sausage from the Farmers Market and zucchini from my garden. I did mix in the zucchini with my sausage, why waste it.
This recipe is great! I've made with with regular Italian sausage and hot Italian sausage (when we want a little bit more "zip"). Love the fresh basil and tomatoes and the pine nuts add that little touch of specialness. I would not change a thing in this recipe.
What a tasty dish! I used spicy turkey sausage and added the zucchini pulp in with the sausage and followed the rest of the instructions...definately a keeper. I really enjoyed the pine nuts and red pepper flakes in the mixture. Going into my Favorites of 2012. Thank you for posting. Made for Mays Tag Game ~ El Calabacin ~ Zucchini.