Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A great recipe from Olive Garden
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, stems & gills removed
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup garlic-flavored croutons, finely ground
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (2 tsp dry)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- CLEAN top of mushrooms with damp cloth. Place cleaned mushrooms on a sheet tray, stem side down. Bake at 350ºF for 5-8 minutes.
- REMOVE from oven until ready to stuff, in step 4 below.
- BROWN sausage in a nonstick skillet, crumbling sausage into small pieces. Once browned, drain fat and transfer to a paper towel to cool.
- BEAT eggs with milk in a medium bowl, then mix in parsley, basil, garlic, croutons, and Parmesan cheese.
- ADD cooled sausage and mix well -- mixture should be wet but firm and hold together easily.
- TOP pre-baked mushroom caps with sausage mixture and bake in 350ºF oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- HEAT cream in sauce pan and lightly boil until half its original volume, being careful not to scorch. Mix in Parmesan cheese, basil, salt and pepper.
- SPOON 2 ounces of sauce over top of each mushroom.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh Italian parsley or fresh basil and serve.
Very tasty! I used Italian chicken sausage. Easy to put together and I think they would be good with a red sauce instead of the cream sauce, also. Might try them on the grill too. Made for My 3 Chefs game.