Italian Sausage-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Coat skillet with cooking spray, add sausage, and cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to break.
- up large pieces.
- Add green pepper, onion, and basil, and cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from skillet and spread mixture on a plate to cool quickly.
- Add bread crumbs to the sausage mixture and toss gently, yet thoroughly, to blend.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Place chicken breasts on pan in a single layer and spoon equal amounts of sausage mixture evenly over each. Fold in sides of breast and roll up, placing seam side down on pan. If stuffing spills out, push it back into center of breast. Use toothpicks to hold seams together, if necessary.
- Spoon half of sauce evenly over each roll. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink on the bottom. Top with cheese and bake 5 minutes longer until cheese has melted. Remove toothpicks before.
- serving. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese, if desired.