Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I wanted to use up some left-overs and had some frozen pizza dough and this is the result. This is really tasty and can be used as a main dish or as an appetizer.
- 453.59 g frozen pizza dough, defrosted
- 226.79-340.19 g Italian sausage
- 1 green pepper, 1/4 inch wide slices
- 1 medium onion, 1/4 inch wide slices
- italian seasoning
- 236.59-354.88 ml mozzarella cheese
- 29.58-44.37 ml grated parmesan cheese
- pizza sauce (optional)
- Lay pizza dough on a lightly floured surface so it can rest.
- Slice Italian sausage into 1/2 inch slices; fry in a 10" skillet over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water, peppers and onions; bring to boil and cover.
- Reduce heat to low and cook about 5-10 minutes more, or until veggies are tender and sausage is heated through.
- Drain liquid from skillet and sprinkle sausage mixture with Italian seasoning; set aside.
- ***If you have leftover sausage, onions and peppers, like I did, you just need to warm it up***.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll pizza dough (on a lightly floured counter) into a rectangle, approximately 11 x 17.
- Sprinkle with sausage mixture, then the cheeses.
- Start at the bottom of the long side and roll jellyroll fashion, stopping occasionally to stuff sides it. When you get to the end, pinch seam together, trying to squeeze air out as you go.
- Place seam side down on baking sheet; bake for about 25 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Remove from oven and lay a clean dish towel on top of loaf; this will allow the crust to soften up and it will be easier to slice and eat.
- After about 10 minutes or so, slice into 1 inch slices. Serve with warmed sauce for dipping, if desired.
Yum! I used a pound of italian sausage, a can of drained mushrooms, and the pillsbury thin crust pizza dough for a quick after work dinner for the fam. I don't care for green peppers so I left them out. Big Hit! Thanks!
I had half of a recipe of pizza dough to use so this was a quick and easy meal. Served with salad.
This is a great recipe. I have made it more than 10 times and everyone who tries it loves it. Try it you will love it!!