1/7 Photos of Italian Sausage Stromboli (Aka Sausage Bread)
I wanted to use up some left-overs and had some frozen pizza dough and this is the result. This is really tasty and can be used as a main dish or as an appetizer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Lay pizza dough on a lightly floured surface so it can rest.
- 2Slice Italian sausage into 1/2 inch slices; fry in a 10" skillet over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add 1/2 cup water, peppers and onions; bring to boil and cover.
- 4Reduce heat to low and cook about 5-10 minutes more, or until veggies are tender and sausage is heated through.
- 5Drain liquid from skillet and sprinkle sausage mixture with Italian seasoning; set aside.
- 6***If you have leftover sausage, onions and peppers, like I did, you just need to warm it up***.
- 7Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 8Roll pizza dough (on a lightly floured counter) into a rectangle, approximately 11 x 17.
- 9Sprinkle with sausage mixture, then the cheeses.
- 10Start at the bottom of the long side and roll jellyroll fashion, stopping occasionally to stuff sides it. When you get to the end, pinch seam together, trying to squeeze air out as you go.
- 11Place seam side down on baking sheet; bake for about 25 minutes at 375 degrees.
- 12Remove from oven and lay a clean dish towel on top of loaf; this will allow the crust to soften up and it will be easier to slice and eat.
- 13After about 10 minutes or so, slice into 1 inch slices. Serve with warmed sauce for dipping, if desired.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage Stromboli (Aka Sausage Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (641 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.7
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 14.1 mg
- Sodium 225.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: