Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
You can join your family when this do-ahead is on the menu. Serve it with fresh fruit and homemade rolls. Plus, it adds a nice touch to a celebration brunch.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened, divided
- 12 -16 slices day-old bread, crusts removed
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups sliced onions
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Using 1/4 cup butter, spread one side of each bread slice with butter. Place half of the bread, butter side down, in a greased 13 x 9 inch x 2 inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet, sauté the mushrooms and onions in remaining butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon half of the mushroom mixture over bread in prepared pan. Top with half of the sausage and cheese. Layer with the remaining bread, mushroom mixture, sausage and cheese. In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, Dijon mustard, nutmeg and ground mustard. Pour over cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, at 350°F for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 12 servings.
- Country Woman.