Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A great hearty, stick to you ribs stew.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage, casings removed,sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 2 small onions, cut into wedges
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 large green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a large Dutch oven, brown sausage over medium heat; drain.
- Add in water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings.
- Bring mixture to a boil; lower heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until sausage is not pink and vegetables are tender.
- Add ketchup, green pepper, and parsley.
- Cook an additional 12-15 minutes or until pepper is tender.
- Throw out bay leaf.
- Mix together cornstarch and cold water; blend until smooth; stir into stew.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
This stew was delicious. My DH thought it was a little spicy but he can't go much spice. It was so flavorful. Very easy to make. Thanks for posting this very tasty recipe.
Tried this recipe last night for dinner. The flavor was very nice. My husband really liked this. DD and myself found it a bit to spicy for our taste, but that's because we can't handle spicy food. Also had to omit the peppers, my daughter doesn't like them. I will make this again, because hubby liked it so much. Thumbs up!
I made this just as the recipe is written. I used sweet Italian sausage. It was very good, especially the day after for lunch. I served it with warm garlic bread sticks and a Caesar salad.