Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Adapted from Gooseberry Patch's In the Kitchen with Family & Friends, this super-thick and hearty stew really satisfies. Yummm...
- 1 lb Italian sausage, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans
- 1 cup small shell pasta (or other such as Salad-Roni)
- In a deep saucepan, sauté sausage in oil until browned; add onion, garlic, carrots and basil; cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes; stir in zucchini, tomatoes, beef broth, cabbage, salt and pepper.
- Bring stew to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add beans and pasta; cook an additional 15 minutes or until pasta is tender; add some water or more broth at this time, if necessary, to keep the stew from drying out.
very good. Only used about 1 cup of cabbage, otherwise followed the recipe. Used chicken broth as some of the reviews suggested.
Oh boy was this good! I used turkey kielbasa, chicken broth and fresh basil, other than that I followed the recipe. We really liked the sweetness of the cabbage. We will definitely be making this recipe again. YUMM!
I make this recipe ALL THE TIME!!! I can't get enough of it. I actually haven't put cabbage in it yet, because the original recipe I grabbed didn't have it, but I love cabbage and will definitely be adding it. I found this recipe about 2 months ago, and since then have made it at LEAST half a dozen times. It's a family favorite.