Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
One of my favorite meals when the weather gets cool.
Make and share this Italian Sausage-Spinach Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 eggs
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and very well drained
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- pastry for double-crust pie, for 10 inch pie
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large skillet, cook Italian sausage, onion, and garlic until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Separate one egg and set aside yolk.
- In a mixing bowl, add egg white and remaining eggs; beat gently.
- Stir in sausage mixture, spinach, cheeses, salt, and pepper.
- Line a 10-inch pie plate with bottom pastry.
- Pour filling in to pie crust.
- Top with upper crust; seal and flute edges.
- Cut slits in top crust for steam to vent.
- Combine water and reserved egg yolk; brush over top crust.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown; may need to cover crust edges with foil if looks like it is getting too brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This was good, but next time I might only use one box of spinach and then add a different vegigie.
THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO GET SPINACH IN THE KIDS!!! I made this and it was gobbled up and requested the next night. I made three pies and I have a piece left for lunch!! Thanks so much!
Great recipe. I used chopped fresh spinach and didn't top the pie. It was more like a casserole I guess, but delicious. Kids fought over the leftovers the next day.