Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love Italian sausage, but my family doesn't and I'm always trying to find ways to get them to like it. I came up with this when my daughter said she'd rather eat a plate of spinach than taste a bite of cottage cheese. After she (and the rest of the family) had two helpings and proclaimed it a keeper, I let her in on the fact that the parsley was really spinach and that there was also cottage cheese in it!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or enough to coat pan)
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking up larger pieces if you need to.
- Add in rice, mushrooms, spinach, chicken broth, salt and pepper and cook until heated through.
- Add in the cottage and mozzarella cheese and turn into a greased casserole dish.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes until bubbly and golden on top.
We had this for dinner last night and it was delicious! Made with spicy/hot Italian sausage and 5-cheese Italian blend instead of mozzarella, as that was what we had on hand. Also used a 16-ounce bag of spinach instead of 10 ounces. This filled a 9 x 13 pan to the very top and the leftovers at lunchtime were great. Thanks for sharing!
sub'd grilled red peppers, onions, zucchini, grilled italian turkey sausage links, sliced, on the George Foreman Grill. Added a truck load of italian seasoning, a big can of chopped tomatoes and pepper. Crushed 3 cloves of garlic into it. Cooked 1 1/2 c brown rice to 3 c water with 3 chicken boullion cubes at the onset. Mixed in 1/2 c parmesan cheese and then poured half the mixture into a casserole dish, grated part skim mozz (about 1 c), repeated layers, added about 1 c water and then realized I needed balsamic vinegar! drizzled about 1/2 cup over all and baked for 30-40 min on 350. Let sit for 10 and then ATE EM UP! Verry tasty. Thanks for the inspiration, pines506! Next time I will use mushrooms and spinach and will sub feta cheese for the cottage.