Recipe by pines506
I love Italian sausage, but my family doesn't and I'm always trying to find ways to get them to like it. I came up with this when my daughter said she'd rather eat a plate of spinach than taste a bite of cottage cheese. After she (and the rest of the family) had two helpings and proclaimed it a keeper, I let her in on the fact that the parsley was really spinach and that there was also cottage cheese in it!
Top Review by Pinay0618
We had this for dinner last night and it was delicious! Made with spicy/hot Italian sausage and 5-cheese Italian blend instead of mozzarella, as that was what we had on hand. Also used a 16-ounce bag of spinach instead of 10 ounces. This filled a 9 x 13 pan to the very top and the leftovers at lunchtime were great. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or enough to coat pan)
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking up larger pieces if you need to.
- Add in rice, mushrooms, spinach, chicken broth, salt and pepper and cook until heated through.
- Add in the cottage and mozzarella cheese and turn into a greased casserole dish.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes until bubbly and golden on top.