Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The savory flavors of the sauce will fill your house leaving your mouth watering. Simple enough to make--just put ingredients in pan and let it cook.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 6 garlic cloves (finely diced or crushed)
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- Italian spices
- 2 dried bay leaves
- garlic salt (season to taste)
- dried red pepper (season to taste)
- 4 hot Italian sausages (without skins)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- cooking red wine
- Begin heating a large pot with with the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic cloves.
- Generously season with oregano, basil, and Italian seasonings. Add red pepper and garlic salt to liking, and stir all ingredients together, until the vegetables start to become tender (onions will begin to turn clear).
- While the vegetables are cooking, put sausages in a frying pan over medium heat, and break into bite-size pieces using a spatula. Cook until they begin to brown.
- Add sausage into the large pot with the vegetables, add mushrooms, and mix all ingredients together.
- Pour the cans of stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce into the pot, and spoon in tomato paste.
- Add enough of the wine to thin the sauce slightly.
- Taste to see if there is enough seasonings, and add if needed.
- Bring sauce to a light boil, then lower heat to medium low, letting it simmer for 45 minutes to an hour stirring occasionally.