Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe tastes just like the sausage soup at the olive garden. It's just a little healthier. I have used several different beans, great northern, kidney, pinto and they all taste good.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 lb lean Italian sausage
- 2 large russet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups water
- 3 1⁄3 cups progresso reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 11 ounces cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half or 1 cup regular half-and-half
- In 4 quart nonstick saucepan or dutch oven. cook bacon until crisp. drain on paper towel. crumble bacon.set aside. remove and discard drippings from saucepan.
- in same sauce pan, cook sausagecasings removed, over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minute stirring frequently until no longer pink. set aside.
- in same saucepan, mix potatoes, onion, garlic, italian seasoning, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, water adn broth. heat to boiling. reducce heat to low, cook uncovered about 10 min, stirring occasionally.
- stir in bacon, sausage, kale and beans. cook 10 to 15 min, stirring occassionally, until potatoes and kale are tender. stir in half and half. cook just until heated.
This is the best! I added some cilantro, added 1 more potatoe and used 1# bulk italian sausage to make it stretch further as I had company. We all could hardly get enough! Too bad the stomach gets full when the taste for more is still going. A+++