Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground Italian sausage, broken into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 5 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 lbs prepared pizza sauce (about)
- 3⁄4 lb diced tomatoes with juice (about)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 lb sliced button mushroom
- 1 1⁄4 lbs cheese-filled egg tortellini, cooked
- tomato juice or water, to thin (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- In large soup pot, brown sausage with onions.
- When sausage is cooked through, drain off all excess oil.
- Add water, pizza sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic, mushrooms and tortellini.
- Simmer over medium heat about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If soup is too thick, add tomato juice or water to thin.
- Just before serving, place mozzarella cheese in bottom of bowl.
- Pour hot soup over top and garnish top with parmesan.