1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Nancy Van Ess's Note:
Originally from "Sunset" magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef broth, divided
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 28 ounces Italian-style tomatoes, broken up
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cups dry bow tie pasta, 1 1/2-inch size
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1In a 5-6 quart pan, combine onions, garlic and 1 cup broth.
- 2Boil on high heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and vegetables start to brown, about 10 to 14 minutes.
- 3To deglaze pan, stir in 3 tablespoons water to release browned bits.
- 4Cook, uncovered, until liquid evaporates and mixture begins to brown again, about 1 minute.
- 5Repeat deglazing step 3 more times until mixture is richly browned.
- 6Add sausage and 1/2 cup more water.
- 7Stir gently until liquid evaporates and meat begins to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 8Add remaining 4 cups broth.
- 9Stir to loosen browned bits.
- 10Add wine, tomatoes and their liquid, basil, sugar, green pepper, zucchini and pasta.
- 11Cover and bring to boil over high heat.
- 12Simmer until pasta is just tender to bite, about 15 minutes.
- 13Serve hot, with chopped parsley, salt and pepper.
- 14(If made ahead, cool, cover and chill up until the next day. Reheat to simmering).
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (638 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.6
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 43.7 mg
- Sodium 1698.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 22.6 g