Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 15 mins
Originally from "Sunset" magazine.
Make and share this Italian Sausage Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef broth, divided
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 28 ounces Italian-style tomatoes, broken up
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cups dry bow tie pasta, 1 1/2-inch size
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper
- In a 5-6 quart pan, combine onions, garlic and 1 cup broth.
- Boil on high heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and vegetables start to brown, about 10 to 14 minutes.
- To deglaze pan, stir in 3 tablespoons water to release browned bits.
- Cook, uncovered, until liquid evaporates and mixture begins to brown again, about 1 minute.
- Repeat deglazing step 3 more times until mixture is richly browned.
- Add sausage and 1/2 cup more water.
- Stir gently until liquid evaporates and meat begins to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add remaining 4 cups broth.
- Stir to loosen browned bits.
- Add wine, tomatoes and their liquid, basil, sugar, green pepper, zucchini and pasta.
- Cover and bring to boil over high heat.
- Simmer until pasta is just tender to bite, about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot, with chopped parsley, salt and pepper.
- (If made ahead, cool, cover and chill up until the next day. Reheat to simmering).