Recipe by JackieOhNo!
This recipe is a little bit different than all the other Italian Sausage Soup recipes that I see posted here. While it is rather rustic in appearance, it tastes elegant enough for entertaining. A pot of this on the stove, a crusty loaf of bread, and a nice glass of wine will soothe your soul on any winter night!
- 6 cups beef stock
- 2 teaspoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs spicy Italian sausages
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 3⁄4 lb ripe plum tomato, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sweet basil leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried greek oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 4 ounces bow tie pasta
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beef stock and steak sauce in large soup pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil and add sausage links. Fry until browned on all sides, turning often. Cool sausages and slice 1/4-inch thick. Drain all but 2 T. fat from skillet.
- Add sausage slices, onions, green pepper, and garlic to skillet. Saute until onions are tender, but not browned. Add sausage mixture to stock mixture in soup pot.
- Add wine, tomatoes, zucchini, basil, oregano, and parsley. Bring to a boil again. Add pasta and simmer until pasta is tender, about 12 minutes, stirring soup occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, then top with shredded cheese.
- Note: Add more beef stock if a thinner soup is desired.