Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found this quote on the back of an Italian lentil soup mix years ago... Soup does seven things: It appeases your hunger, slakes your thirst,fills your stomach, cleans your teeth, makes you sleep, helps you digest and puts color in your cheeks. Well.... it might! =) Hope you enjoy this soup. This recipe freezes well,also.
- 1 lb Italian sausage (sweet or hot)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, coarsley chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup canned beef broth (or any of your favorite stock)
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups rotini pasta
- 1 small green pepper, coarsely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small zucchini, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Split casing on sausages, remove meat and discard casing.
- Brown sausage, garlic and onion in Dutch oven, over medium heat until sausage done.
- Stir frequently to break sausage apart; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, water, pasta, green pepper and parsley.
- Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini; simmer an additional 5 minutes or until pasta and zucchini are tender.
- Pour into soup bowls; garnish with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
I made this recipe last evening. I used a 15 ounce can of beef broth and enough water to make 3 cups liquid. Used dried parsley instead of fresh.I will make this soup again. Thanks. Joy in Kansas
Excellent comfort food. It has been chilly this weekend, and my hubby requested sausage soup. I didn't have the ingredients on hand for my own version, and tried this. It was a winner. I subbed gemelli pasta for the rotini, petite diced tomatoes with onion and garlic for the stewed tomatoes, increased the beef broth and added a good handful of fresh spinach. We were very happy with the flavor. My husband had 3 bowls. LOL