Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was healthified by the food experts at EatBetterAmerica.com. http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/healthified/italian-sausage-soup.aspx
- 2 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 lb lean Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 large russet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale or 4 cups swiss chard leaves
- 1 (15 -19 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half or 1 cup regular half-and-half
- In 4-quart nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towel. Crumble bacon; set aside. Remove and discard drippings from saucepan.
- In same saucepan, cook sausage over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Drain well on paper towels; set aside.
- In same saucepan, mix potatoes, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, broth and water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cook uncovered about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in bacon, sausage, kale and beans. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and kale are tender. Stir in half-and-half; cook just until heated.