Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This soup is just wonderful. Very easy to assemble and quick, while not compromising any "slow cooked" flavor. I think you'll love this soup with a crisp salad, and crusty bread.
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 16 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 9 ounces cheese-filled tortellini
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, garnish
- In a large stock pot, add Italian sausage, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until sausage is cooked through, and onion is opaque. Add broth and next seven ingredients, stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in parsley. Serve with parmesan cheese.
- Crockpot method: In a medium skillet, saute sausage, onion, and garlic, until sausage is cooked through. Add to 3 quart crock pot with all ingredients excetp parsley and cheese. Cook on low six hours, or high for three. Stir in parsley before serving, garnish individual bowls with cheese.
This is a great tasting, hearty soup. I also used the crockpot method as written with the following changes. I added 3 small stalks of celery, 3/4 cup Red Wine, 1 small red onion, 1 small vidalia onion, and 3/4 lb of common mushrooms. This is probably why my soup was more like a hearty stew. I also used Herbs de Provence instead of Itialian seasoning. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe. I will make this again.
Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, I got love in my tummy. A hearty soup to keep you smiling all day.
YUMMY! Made this the crockpot way on high for 3.5 hrs. Added one stalk of chopped celery and omitted the red bell pepper. Also used italian style tomatoes and omitted the italian seasoning. I found mini cheese ravioli (dried) at Trader Joes that worked great. Simple and wonderful.