Recipe by lazyme
This is a very simple soup that my grandkids love. If it's just adults, I usually add a few red pepper flakes to spice it up a bit. From Betty Crocker.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
This soup has wonderful flavor and is very easy. I didn't use oil to cook the sausage to cut down on the fat and did add some zucchini that I had in my fridge that needed to be used. Makes for a nice lunch or a super quick supper. Thanks for posting this! Made for Football Pool ~ Superbowl 2010.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon basil, chopped
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium heat in 4 to 6 quart stock pot.
- Add sausage and onions and cook, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon to crumble sausage, until onions are transparent.
- Add broth, tomatoes and basil and bring to boil.
- Add macaroni and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer partly covered, until macaroni is tender, about 25 minutes.