Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my families favorite soup! You have to try this one.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (Removed from casing if present)
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dried orzo pasta
- finely shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a 4 quart Dutch oven, combine sausage, onion, carrot and celery; cook over medium heat until sausage is browned. Drain well. Add broth, undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, rosemary, oreganobasil, thyme, fennel seeds and bay leaf to the sausage mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat;simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Add uncooked pasta to sausage mixture. Return to boiling; reduce heat, cook uncovered for 30 minutes more; discard bay leaf. If desired serve with shredded parmesan cheese.
- Make Ahead Directions; Prepare as directed in first step (Do not add orzo) Cover and chill up to 2 days or you may freeze. When ready to make reheat over medium heat until boiling and continue with recipe.