Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This does not use the grill but the oven. Other cheese can be used..I sometimes use 2 different cheeses or whatever I have in the fridge.
- 3⁄4 lb bulk Italian sausage (hot or mild)
- 1 1⁄2 cups spaghetti sauce (from a jar)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pitted ripe olives (black or green)
- 1 red onion, sliced in half rings
- 1⁄2 sweet red pepper, sliced in strips
- 4 French rolls
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese (approx 6 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a skillet brown sausage.
- Drain off the fat, stir in the sauce and olives, heat through.
- Split rolls lengthwise without cutting through opposite side.
- Hollow out buns slightly, halve cheese slices lengthwise.
- Place a piece of cheese on bottom half of each roll.
- Divide meat mixture evenly among the 4 rolls, top with onion and sweet peppers.
- Place another cheese slice on top and close the rolls.
- Wrap each sandwich in foil and seal, place on a baking sheet and bake the wrapped sandwiches in the oven for approx 15 minutes.
- Unwrap serve and enjoy!
This sandwich was so good. I had just sliced the italian sausage instead of crumbling. I also did saute the onions and peppers for just a minute or two. I had used provolone cheese on the bottom of the sandwich and mozzarella for the top. Everything worked out perfectly. My daughter thought it was so yummy and ate hers all up. She is so happy when she visits from college, because I feed her delicious food to fatten up on. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe Pet. Made for Cookathon for Pets'R'us
This is a great easy recipe. My family doesn't like olives, but other than leaving those out, I follow this exactly. Very fast, easy , and delicious dinner.
Delicious! I didn't add the olives and used a regular onion instead of a red onion. Also provolone cheese instead of mozzarella. These are quick and easy and very tasty! Next time I may saute the peppers and onions a little because I like mine more tender.