Recipe by JanetB-KY
Soooooo yummy. I'm posting this for ZWT 2006 (Italian region) This is a very hearty sandwich but so tasty that if i'm hungry, even having the small appetite that I do, I can down one and a half of these buggers. Guys and kids love these. This is also easy to double if you have more people to feed.
Top Review by Little_Sister
This was so delicious! I used both hot and sweet Italian sausage and I can't decide which one I liked most. Spread the bread with just the roasted garlic paste and no olive oil (we love garlic). Cooked the sausage in a skillet as directed on the Johnsonville package with some extra time added to get to 160 degrees. This with the peppers, onions and mozzarella cheese served on King's Hawaiian Hot Dog Buns made the perfect sandwich!!
- 4 crusty long rolls
- 4 links hot Italian sausage (6 inch) or 4 links mild Italian sausage (6 inch)
- 2 red peppers
- 2 green peppers
- 2 medium onions
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- roasted garlic
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the onion-pepper mixture, slice the peppers into long strips about 1/2 inch thick and thinly slice the onions.
- Sauté both together in a heavy pan in a few tablespoons of olive oil until they are soft and onions are beginning to turn golden brown.
- Make a garlic butter by mashing together about two cloves of roasted garlic (if you don't want to roast it yourself, jars of roasted garlic can be found at most grocery stores these days) with 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Grill or pan fry the sausages until cooked through (it helps to preboil them for about 5 minutes; it cuts down on the grease and grilling/frying time); slice the buns and grill lightly once the sausages are ready; alternatively, the buns can be lightly browned in either a toaster or a hot lightly oiled pan.
- Brush the buns with the garlic butter, carefully put 1/4 cup mozzarella on one side of each bun and place in each bun a sausage and a good amount of the pepper-onion mixture and serve hot.