Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posting this because it looked interesting.
- 2 frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 3 mild sausage links
- 3 hot Italian sausage links (should be sausage links)
- 6 tablespoons grated romano cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- The oven must be preheated to 350 degrees F.
- Lay the puff pastry sheets out on a flat work surface (cover with parchment paper first.)
- Split the sausage casings lengthwise and turn the mild sausage meat out onto 1 pastry sheet and the hot sausage meat out onto the other pastry sheet.
- Gently pat the meat out to fit the pastry sheets, being careful to leave a 1/2-inch strip bare on both long sides of each sheet.
- Top with 3 tablespoons of Romano and 5 basil leaves per sheet.
- Starting with 1 of the bare strips, roll the pastry tightly around the filling. The bare strip on the far end will stick to itself (the roll).
- Place the rolls in the freezer (wrap in parchment paper) for at least 1 hour; they should be just frozen enough to make slicing easy. (The recipe can be made to this point 1 week in advance.)
- Slice the rolls into 1/2-inch pieces, place on baking sheets and place in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove and let cool 5 minutes before serving.