Recipe by Engrossed
Flavorful Italian sausage and onion topped with a cloud of creamy cheesy quiche flavored with basil and surrounded by a buttery biscuit crust. The sriracha is optional because it is a 7th contest ingredient, it does tie in well with the Swiss cheese and basil. I wanted to add sun-dried tomatoes but I didn't have any on hand- if you would like to add about 2tbsp of them minced to the quiche, I don't mind. Alternatively, diced fresh tomatoes might be nice sprinkled on top. I also thought of mixing the cooked sausage and onion into the quiche mix. There's just not enough time to try all of the variations but I don't mind if you do. :D.
Top Review by Susie D
I encountered a few problems with the recipe. The first issue was mashing the biscuits evenly in the muffin tin, but that was more than likely due to my manicure. I lightly rolled the biscuits out & then fitted them into the cups. The next was ingredient measurements. I had quite a bit of leftover filling so I spooned into three greased ramikins & baked. The recipe is nice, it's very creamy. Thank you for sharing your creation & good luck in the contest! :-)
- 4 ounces Italian sausage, ground (mild or hot)
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces neufchatel cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon hot chili sauce, sriracha (optional if you like heat)
- 1 (12 ounce) can Pillsbury Golden Layers refrigerated flaky original biscuits
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Lightly grease 10 muffin cups.
- Break up Italian sausage into small crumbles and brown with onion in a frying pan. Add garlic the last couple minutes of cooking time. Dab up as much grease as you can with paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, cream neufchatel. Beat in eggs and half and half.
- Stir in Swiss cheese, basil and sriracha, if using.
- Place one biscuit in each of the 10 greased muffin cups and press them so that they are molded to the whole cup.
- Spoon about 1tbsp of the sausage mixture into each crust.
- Top with quiche mix.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the quiche is set.
- Serve hot.