Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love the savory taste combo of kalamata olives and capers--can't get enough of it. If you aren't up for the heat, use mild Italian sausage or cut the fat with Turkey Italian sausage. If you want it a bit spicier--add a bit of crushed red chile flakes. I think the overall flavor is fairly mild and will probably add more capers and kalamata olives next time I make it.
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 8 ounces hot Italian sausage
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain well.
- Meanwhile, remove casings from sasage and saute with onion, pepper and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring and crumbling sausage until sausage is done and vegetables softened (about 7 or 8 minutes).
- Remove from heat and drain off fat.
- Add tomatoes, olives, tomato paste, capers and anchovy paste to pan and bring to a boil. (I like to give the tomatoes a couple of pulses in the food processor to break them up a little).
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add pasta and stir to combine.
- Spray 8-inch square casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Spoon mixture into casserole and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400°F for about 15 minutes until cheese melts and begins to brown.
Very rich and tasty food!! I made it without the anchovy paste and I also added sundried tomatoes, a small amount of dried chili pepper, a big leek and a greek sausage (instead of the italian)! I also used whole-wheat pasta, I always prefer them..
I will definately make it again!! :-)
I love the flavors of puttanesca sauce! The addition of Italian sausage on this recipe was good change, but not absolutely necessary, the sauce is so good even without it. Especially if the sausages are not that hot, it is a good idea to add some red pepper flakes. Because we like spicy and quite strong flavored food, I doubled the anchovy and added some liquid from the caper jar. I was wondering about the amount of pasta, 8 oz is usually perfect for only 2 servings, so I doubled the amount for the 4 of us. That seemed to be perfect for the amount of the sauce. Great, flavorfull pasta!
I made this recipe last night and it turned out great. The changes I made were I combined all the ingredients in a large pot and heated it through. I omitted the cheese (I don't not like melted cheese) and the anchovys. My husband added parm cheese on his. Add some crushed red pepper and salt and pepper to taste. It had a wonderful flavor