Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Italian sausage and vegetables all ready together in a crockpot ready to serve atop a pile of pasta or stuffed into hoagie rolls for sandwiches. A good meal for a big family or just what you need when you've got a hungry crowd over on game day or race day. Easy to halve for a smaller crowd.
- 4 lbs mild Italian sausage
- 2 lbs frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 lbs frozen yellow squash, thawed or 2 lbs fresh yellow squash, sliced
- 2 onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 quarts spaghetti sauce (I prefer Classico)
- 1 lb bow tie pasta, cooked
- Prick sausage all over.
- Put sausage into large pot, cover with cold water, and simmer for 10 minutes to extract excess grease. This can be done the night before.
- In 6-quart oval crockpot layer half the sausage and half of each other ingredient. Repeat.
- Cook on high for 3 hours then on low for 3-4 hours.
- Serve over favorite pasta (I used bowties tonight), topped with parmesan. Its low-carb if you control the pasta quantities.
Expected this to be great and it certainly was! DH was putting his thumb up before the second bite. LOL! And smells divine. Super convenient for our busy day. I lined my crock pot with a liner that I had bought on Amazon-easy peasy clean up. I made a half batch that was done in 3 hours on high but I do have an old crock pot. I used fresh spinach instead of frozen and lots of pepper on the yellow squash. My sauce was Classico-the basil and roasted garlic one. I plan on incorporating the leftover sausage into Italian Sausage Spinach and Ricotta Toasts and the sauce into a vegetarian pasta. Thank you 3KillerBs for an awesome recipe!
Very good crockpot recipe. While assembling this, I was afraid the spaghetti sauce would not be enough for the large amount of sausage. However, the spinach and other vegetables cook down into the sauce and the end result is a nice thick sauce somewhat like a tomato-pesto sauce with wonderful flavor. I halved this recipe using one pound mild sausage and one pound spicy sausage. Yes, it makes a lot!
I used Prego 4 cheese