Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
We found out my husband has very high cholesterol, and we have had to become creative. We took an origianl family recipe, and modified using regular mild italina sausage with turkey sausage, heavy cream with low fat milk, etc.
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links
- 3 baby carrots
- 1 medium white onion
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 eggs (can substitute with egg beaters)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 uncooked deep dish pie shell
- 3⁄4 cup fat free mozzarella cheese (can substitute with cheddar or monterey jack)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper or 1 dash Tabasco sauce, to taste
- brown sausage, and ground to small pieces drain& rinse with hot water.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375* Mix remaining ingredients in a med size bowl setting aside 1/4 c of cheese.
- Pour mixture into pieshell, and bake for 35 minutes.
- Add remaining cheese, and bake for another 5 minutes.
Looking for good, easy recipes since hubby had a stroke and we had to change our diet. I modified this using what I had on hand. I used one turkey Italian sausage, ground it after cooking, added to 1/2 pound of cooked turkey breakfast sausage. Then I used mixed veggies instead of baby carrots and put in a regular size pie crust. Absolutely delish and so easy to put together.
I am in the process of finding new recipes because my husband's cholesterol is up. Unfortunately, the doctor told us that the max saturated fat a "healthy" person should have per day is 10g and someone whi is trying to reduce their cholesterol should limit it to 7-8g sat. fat and no more that 200mg of cholesterol a day. The recipe was yummy, but the pie crust and the meat alone sent it WAY over what a "healthy" person should have. I may try to figure out a better way to do this. Thanks for sharing. Maybe a jumping off point...
This was so easy to make ! I used 1//2 lb fresh turkey sausage with jalapenos and left out the hot sauce. As I didn't have cornstarch, I used 1 1/2tbl spoon of flour. And I added a top crust which added 15 min to the baking time. My husband, myself, and my neighbors loved it!! I will be making this again. Thanks so much for an easy versatile recipe.