Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A light and very delicious meal for any time of year. The balsamic vinegar and red wine make give the recipe a special taste!
- Cut each sausage link in 4 pieces.
- Place in microwave dish, sprinkle liberally with caraway seed, and cover.
- Microwave on high 5 minutes, stir, and continue to cook until sausage is cooked through.
- Drain liquid from sausage and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil, and sauté onion and garlic until tender.
- Add canned tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and wine.
- Add spices, stir, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add sausage, stir well, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with your favorite pasta, top with Parmesan cheese.
All enjoyed this tonight. It had a rich and full flavor. I used bulk It. sausage and 28 ounces of tomatoes. Thank you Art for this wonderful recipe. It's a winner.
Tried this last night and my husband and I both enjoyed it very much. I was pleasantly surprised at the additional sweetness the caraway seeds seemed to make. One question, though: After stirring the microwaved sausages (after the first 5 minutes), the recipe just says "cook until done." How long is that supposed to be? I was concerned about microwaving them too long. I did about a minute, and that seemed to work, but could have used some specifics there!
This made for a great meal. I used hot Italian sausages (stovetop cooked) over penne pasta. I doubled the recipe, using 2 cans of diced tomatoes (1 regular & the other fire roasted tomatoes with garlic), I felt as though the balsamic vinegar really helped create the depth of flavor this meal had. My daughter found it to be a little too spicy (guess I should have used regular Italian sausage). My family enjoyed this , but despite the fact that it was so easy to pull together, I don't think it is something we would have a "taste" for on a regular basis (if that makes any sense). Thanks for sharing!